The week of January 20-26 is National Healthy Weight Week. This is a time to celebrate diet-free, healthy, life-long habits. This is also a time to be accepting, healthy, and happy at our natural weights and help prevent eating and weight problems. Let’s celebrate by dropping our diets and picking up a few habits.
Focus on setting goals that do not lead to a certain amount of calories per day or a certain number goal for the scale. Instead, try things like using a smaller plate, increasing your physical activity, improving your sleep hygiene, eating enough fiber and fueling your body with good sources of protein and fats.
Positive body image and a healthy relationship with food is what can kick off a healthy lifestyle and achieving your goals. Those who continue fad diets and have poor body image have a 26% less success rate than those who focused more on body image and health were more successful in losing and maintaining weight in a one year trial.
This week hide your scale and calorie counters and focus on loving yourself. Use these goals as a start:
- Accept your weight
- Embrace who you are.
- Set realistic health guidelines.
- Focus on positive changes to your lifestyle.
- Create positive relationships with family, friends, and most importantly, food.
- Change your thoughts: Begin positive self talk.
- Enjoy your eating experience by eating a variety of foods.
- Eat when hungry, stop when full.
- Move your body. Fit in activity and exercise.
- Take time out for yourself and relax.
Keep these goals not only this week but always!